Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus that had not been previously identified in humans.
The virus causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever and in more severe cases, pneumonia. You can protect yourself by washing your hands frequently and avoiding touching your face.
- People may experience:
- runny nose
- sore throat
- difficulty breathing (severe cases)
- Clean hands frequently with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow
- Avoid close contact (1 metre or 3 feet) with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.
- If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
- rest and sleep
- keep warm
- drink plenty of liquids
- use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
- If you develop a fever and cough – stay at home until you’ve recovered and at least for 14 days in order to keep others healthy.
Source: World Health Organization